Homeowners insurance can be complex with many options and factors that determine cost. The good news is all that complexity can also offer opportunities to save. And with a We Insure agent at your side doing a little comparison shopping on your behalf, you can get the right coverage at a great value from a top-rated insurer.
Here are some tips that could score you big savings on your next premium:
1. Raise your deductible. Your deductible is what you have to pay on a claim before your insurance kicks in. The higher your deductible, the lower your premium. While raising your deductible is one way to save, be certain that you can cover the higher out-of-pocket cost should you ever need to file a claim.
2. Bundle coverage. Bundling home and auto coverage may earn you discounts on both. Your We Insure agent can provide you with a fast and free quote for bundling with one of your existing insurers — and find out if you could save more by moving both policies to a new carrier altogether.
3. Check for discounts. If you have a monitored home security system, you could see a reduction on your next premium. And if you’ve made other improvements, such as replacing your roof or installing hurricane windows, those may also lower your costs. Talk to your We Insure agent to learn more.
4. Improve your credit. Insurers can charge you more if your credit is less than stellar. But a little credit remediation that raises your FICO score could lower your premium. The first step is obtaining a copy of your credit report from all three bureaus: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. You’re entitled to one free report per year from each, and you can request them at annualcreditreport.com.
5. Go paperless. Save the trees and some money while you’re at it. Some insurers offer discounts to encourage customers to switch over to paperless billing. If you’re good with receiving electronic statements, see if you can nab a discount in return.
6. Don’t over-insure. When it comes to insurance, more isn’t always better. And while you never want to be underinsured, over-insuring your home and belongings can be wasteful. Don’t take out riders you don’t need — and purchase only necessary coverage. For example, a home’s replacement cost (the cost to bring your home back to its original condition) may be significantly less than its market value. Insuring your home for its market value may be unnecessary in this instance. On the other hand, electing for coverage for the depreciated value of the contents of your home won’t allow you to replace old items with new.
7. Shop around. Tweaking the coverage of your existing policy to save money may not provide nearly the cost savings you could achieve by shopping your coverage with other insurers. A We Insure agent will be happy to provide a complimentary quote based on an apples-to-apples comparison with top-rated carriers in your area.
We Insure agents aren’t loyal to one insurer. Their loyalty is to you — and finding you the best possible deal on the homeowners insurance you need. Call your local agent for a fast and free quote today.
The information contained in this page is provided for general informational purposes only and may not be applicable to all situations. We Insure makes no guarantees of results from the use of this information.